Configuring Windows XP for Chesapeake.Net
What You'll Need
The easiest way to configure Windows XP for the internet is to use the "Internet Connection Wizard". If you purchased your computer with Windows XP installed on it, or bought the full version of Windows XP , you already have the Internet Setup Wizard.
Using The Wizard To Set Up Your Account
1. Click on the "start" button, followed by: programs, accessories, communications, and Internet Connection Wizard... This starts up the wizard, and brings you to the "Internet Connection Wizard" screen. Select "Manually configure my telephone or network Internet Connection.." . Click on "next".
2. You should see the "Setting up your Internet Connection." screen. Click on "I connect through a phone line and modem". Click on "next".
3. The "Step 1 of 3: Internet account connection information" screen. Enter the local SMI modem number for your area. The list of modem numbers can be found online and in your welcome packet. It is your responsibility to make sure that it is a local phone call. Be sure to follow the correct login method. Make sure "Dial using area code and country code" has a check mark. Click "Next".
4. The "Step 2 of 3: Internet Account Login Information" screen. Enter your user name and password. Keep in mind that your user name and password must be exactly as they appear on your account papers, including capitalization and lower case. You must append "@chesapeake.net" after the ppp login name as shown on your account setup information sheet. Click on "next".
5. The "Step 3 of 3: Configuring Your Computer" screen. In "Connection name" type "Chesapeake.Net" or "SMI". Click on "next"
6. The "Completeing the Internet Connection Wizard" screen. If you wish to connect immediately, simply click finish. If you wish to connect at a later time, remove the check from the check box, and click finish. To connect at a later time, simply click on Internet Explorer.
Using Windows XP To Dial Chesapeake.Net
1. Click on any shortcut to Internet Explorer. If you have difficulty finding one do as follows: Click "Start". Go to Programs, and then click on "Internet Explorer".
2. A window should load up asking you to connect. Hit "Connect". You may hear the modem dialing. Once connected a web page should begin to load.
3. When you wish to disconnect click on "File" in Internet Explorer. Then click "close" in Internet Explorer. You will then be prompted to disconnect. Hit "Disconnect"
Setting up Email through Windows XP
1. Connect by following the directions under "Using Windows XP to Dial Chesapeake.net"
2. When viewing a webpage, click on the mail button in the upper right and select "Read Mail". This will load Outlook Express.
3. Follow the Outlook Express setup instructions available on our support page.
Please contact us at email@example.com you require further information or assistance with your Chesapeake.Net e-mail service, or call our Technical Support staff at (877) 764-4638.