Configuring WindowsMe for Chesapeake.Net
What You'll Need
The easiest way to configure Windows Me for the internet is to use the "Internet Setup Wizard. If you purchased your computer with Windows Me installed on it, or bought the full version of Windows Me , you already have the Internet Setup Wizard.
Using The Wizard To Set Up Your Account
1. If you have never used your Internet icon before just double click it and it will bring up the wizard and skip to step 3...otherwise do step 2.
2. Click on the "start" button, followed by: programs, accessories, communications, and Internet Connection Wizard... it may also be called "get online" or something similar. This starts up the wizard, and brings you to the "Welcome" screen. Click on "next". Select "I want to set up my internet connection manually…". Click on "next"
3. You should see the "How To Connect" screen. Click on "I connect through a phone line and modem". Click on "next".
4. The "Step 1 of 3: Internet account connection information" screen. Enter the local SMI modem number for your area. The list of modem numbers can be found online and in your welcome packet. It is your responsibility to make sure that it is a local phone call. Be sure to follow the correct login method. Make sure "Dial using area code and country code" has a check mark. Click "Next"
5. The "Step 2 of 3: Internet Account Login Information" screen. Enter your user name and password. Keep in mind that your user name and password must be exactly as they appear on your account papers, including capitalization and lower case. You must append "@chesapeake.net"after the ppp login name as shown on your account setup information sheet. Click on "next".
6. The "Step 3 of 3: Configuring Your Computer" screen. In "Connection name" type "Chesapeake.Net" or "SMI". Click on "next"
7. The "Set Up Internet Mail Account" screen. If you wish to setup your Internet email now select "Yes" and click "Next". Otherwise select "No" and skip to part 13 of this instruction sheet.
8. The "Internet Mail Account" screen. Select "Create a new Internet mail account". Click "Next".
9. The "Your name" screen. Enter your name as you would like it to appear on your email messages. Click "Next".
10. The "Internet Email Address" screen. Enter your email address exactly as it appears in your paper work (case sensitivity is important). Click "Next".
11. You will see the "Email Server Names" screen. Select "POP3" for "My Incoming Mail server is a"…. then, type "mail.chesapeake.net" for the Incoming Mail Server. Type "mail.chesapeake.net" for the Outgoing Mail Server. Click on "next".
12. You will see the "Internet Mail Logon" screen. The first part of your email address should appear for the "Account Name". Enter your password in "password". Make sure "remember password" is checked. Click on next".
13. The "Completing The Internet Connection Wizard" screen. To connect to the Internet immediately check the box and click "finish". Otherwise make sure the box is not checked and click "finish". The setup process is now complete.
Using WindowsMe To Dial Chesapeake.Net
1. Click on any shortcut to Internet Explorer. If you have difficulty finding one do as follows: Click "Start". Go to Programs, and then click on "Internet Explorer".
2. A window should load up asking you to connect. Hit "Connect". You may hear the modem dialing. Once connected a web page should begin to load.
3. When you wish to disconnect click on "File" in Internet Explorer. Then click "close" in Internet Explorer. You will then be prompted to disconnect. Hit "Disconnect"
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org you require further information or assistance with your Chesapeake.Net e-mail service, or call our Technical Support staff at (877) 764-4638.